“A diesel engine was part of the Canyon’s portfolio plan from the beginning, meaning the chassis, suspension and other elements of its architecture were engineered to support it,” said Scott Yackley, assistant chief engineer.
Several new technologies and supporting features complement the Duramax diesel’s capability while helping ensure GMC’s trademark refinement:
- A new, electronically controlled two-speed transfer case on 4WD models
- An all-new integrated trailer brake controller is standard and exclusive on diesel models
- Smart diesel exhaust brake system that enhances vehicle control and reduces brake wear on steep grades
- Standard Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic transmission matched with a Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorber in the torque converter, which reduces powertrain noise and vibration
In addition, the 2016 Canyon offers technologies and connectivity features such as GMC IntelliLink with new phone integration technology – and Apple CarPlay capability – OnStar 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning.
Additional engine features:
- B20 bio-diesel capability
- Common rail direct injection fuel system
- 16.5:1 compression ratio
- Piston-cooling oil jets
- Forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods
- Iron cylinder block and aluminum DOHC cylinder head
- Balance shaft that contributes to smoothness and drives the oil pump
- Ceramic glow plugs for shorter heat-up times and higher glow temperatures
- Laminated steel oil pan with upper aluminum section that contributes to engine rigidity and quietness
- Oiling circuit that includes a dedicated feed for the turbocharger to provide increased pressure at the turbo and faster oil delivery
Of course with Volkswagen’s diesel engine Environmental Protection Agency emission test cheating fallout, the new 2016 GMC Canyon diesel will have to be put through a new, more rigorous test from the EPA, but we're confident the mid-sized pickup will pass the test with flying colors; and so is GMC stating, "The Duramax 2.8L is the cleanest diesel truck engine ever produced by GM and meets some of the toughest U.S. emissions standards, thanks in part to a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system."
The new 2016 GMC Canyon diesel will offer our Oklahoma truck enthusiasts exceptional capability delivered with a confident feeling of control. It's expected to arrive at our Tulsa Metro, Buick GMC dealership later this year.